UPDATE: 4:51PM – Spina informed SaultOnline that Queen St. W. is now open to traffic. Officers are however, still on-scene.
UPDATE: 3:43PM – Around 2:30PM, Constable Sonny Spina told reporters on-scene that at approximately 1:15p.m. today (Tuesday), Sault Ste. Marie Police Services responded to a call at 629 Queen St. W., where there was an apparent firearm. At this time, there had been two individuals – a man and woman, both believed to be in their early 20s to late 30s – who had exited the residence at their own will, at different times, with no altercation – her first, then him. No weapon had been found at that time.
Officers were unsure if there were any more people inside the residence, and officers with the Emergency Services Unit were investigating this and searching for any potential firearms.
No injuries have been reported.
No charges have yet been laid.
This is still under investigation. Spina said the street will remain closed until police can safely ensure no one else is in the residence.
Stay tuned to SaultOnline and ONNtv for updates as they become available.
ONNtv’s Megan Pounder is currently on-location at an apparent stand-off on Queen Street West. Megan reports that about 6 police vehicles have surrounded the area.
UPDATE: 2:43PM Megan reports that two people in their 20’s were taken out of the building before reporters arrived. Originally Police believed guns were in the house, and ESU is currently investigating the residence. ONNtv’s Megan Ponder will have more later.
Officers with The Sault Ste. Marie Police Service are currently responding to a call for service in the 600 block of Queen Street West. At this time the street has been closed and traffic in the area is restricted.
We ask that all pedestrians and motorists remain away from this area until officers have resolved the situation. An ONNtv update will be provided later.