Congratulations to all teams who participated in the 13th annual pond hockey tournament this past weekend! The 2019 Labatt Blue UP Hockey Championship is a 4 day international event held on a series of prepared rinks in downtown St. Ignace on Moran Bay, Lake Huron. It included both men’s and women’s teams.
This years tournament truly reached an international level with a team from the Czech Republic adding to the excitement, in addition to American and Canadian entries. The Czech Lions traveled and amazing 7,500 km/5,000 miles to participate in this growing annual event.
“All players showed skill, determination and sportsmanship on and off the ice. Thanks to teams that traveled from far away states including Kentucky, Ohio and Colorado. We hope to see everyone again next year!”, said organizers.
The following are some highlights from the event:
- The Czech Lions traveled 7,500 km from the Czech Republic-St. Ignace to participate in the championship.
- With only four members on their team (teams normally have 7 players), the Lions made it to second place in the 30+ (age) Men’s Gold Division. They plan to return in 2020 and take home a division cup.
- The international championship brought 189 teams, together with family, friends and hockey fans to the 4 day event. 2019 saw a marked increase in the number of women’s teams.
- Hockey action took place on a series of prepared rinks located in downtown St. Ignace on Moran Bay, Lake Huron.
- Mancavesonline.com, a team made up of Canadian (Sault Ste Marie) and American players (Petoskey), took home the cup in the 40+ Men’s Gold Division.
- Next event in St. Ignace is the UP Ice Golf Scramble and Glow Ball Challenge, March 1-2
All final results can be viewed on the St. Ignace Visitors Bureau website here.
Next up… the UP Ice Golf Scramble and Glow Ball Challenge. Registrations are open until February 23rd for this unique event which is scheduled to run March 1st and 2nd. For this and the many other popular events hosted in St. Ignace, visit the St. Ignace Visitors Bureau website.