SaultOnline has been informed that The Tech may have closed its doors for good, leaving the businesses inside in jeopardy and scrambling for somewhere to go.
The inspection notices above have been posted on the doors of the Tech for about two weeks now, but no one seems to be sure what exactly is going on, and the owners can’t be reached for comment.
The owners also purchased the Windsor Park but that too remains empty and unoccupied for several months.
The “Tech” was originally constructed in the early 1900’s where it served as Sault Technical and Commercial High School. In 1969 the name was changed to Lakeway Collegiate and Vocational School when programs were expanded. In 1987 the school became St. Mary’s College and occupied the space until 2015 when St. Mary’s merged with St. Basil Secondary School into a brand new building on Second Line east.
The former high school was purchased by a number of investors in August 2015 with plans on making it an educational and entertainment hub. A restaurant was built inside along with various other small businesses. Over the last few years The Tech became a popular venue for small entertainment shows and multi-use facility.
Today however the large centrally located building on Wellington Street East sits empty, businesses have moved out and the Windsor Park Hotel is in the same predicament.
Stay tuned to SaultOnline and ONNtv for updates as they become available.