Winter Storm: Preventative Measures from SSMFS

0
Sault Ste. Marie Fire Services

With the recent heavy snow fall and drifts occurring, Sault Ste. Marie Fire Services would like to remind the community that it is imperative to keep snow and ice from building up around the external exhaust outlets for furnaces, fireplaces, water heaters and clothes dryers.

“Clearing snow and ice away from the gas meter and the external exhaust outlets for home ensures the meter and your fuel fired appliances function properly,” states Deputy Chief  Paul Milosevich”.

A gas meter covered in snow or ice can impede its function of controlling the pressure of the gas supplied to your home, which could lead to serious risks. Plugged external exhaust vents can cause the carbon monoxide emitted by these appliances to build up in your home, which could create an unsafe condition.

Further, please be mindful of seniors living on their own at this time and assist them in clearing their vents from snow.