Hounds Split First Two, Win 6-3


Coming off Thursday’s game one loss, the Greyhounds kicked off the Saturday night showdown with the Owen Sound Attack down 1-0 in the series.

The team played just as well as the first game, but received the more favourable result in a 6-3 win, out-shooting Owen Sound 47-21.

The Hounds needed to add some much needed attention to their penalty kill unit, as the team allowed three powerplay goals on four opportunities in the 4-3 OT loss.

The Hounds, who did not get off on the best of footing in game one, came out of the gate with a vengeance.  

Tye Kartye would get his first OHL Playoff goal by being in the right place at the right time, jamming home the second rebound that Owen Sound goalie Gudas let out in front, knocking it out of the air just four minutes into the game.

The third line would follow things up quickly, with a terrific forecheck to keep the attack on the defense, the puck would be launched in front to Alex Johnston who banged home the puck for his first OHL Playoff goal as well.

Frost would go off for a trip, but the penalty kill did not last long. Hayton would force the defence into taking a hooking penalty after stripping the puck and creating a chance for himself. 4 on 4 would ensue and the Hounds attack stayed dominant. Howdeshell would be left in front to notch his first of the playoffs for the year, putting the Hounds out to a 3 goal lead.

The Hounds excellent defensive play would collapse for a second, as the Attack’s third shot of the game would find the twine with just four minutes remaining. Popov notched his teams first and made it a two goal game.

With the way the Hounds were clicking, even with just thirteen seconds remaining they were dangerous. Barrett Hayton and Morgan Frost connected for Hayton’s first of the playoffs, taking a three goal lead into the second.

It would take another twelve minutes before we would see another goal.

There would be two of them.

They would be on Owen Sound’s ninth and tenth shot.

Jackson Doherty and Kaleb Pearson would reign this game in, as the lead was cut down to 4-3, and things would remain that way headed into the third.

The third period would be highlighted by the stellar play once again from goaltender Guzdas who stopped 40+ shots before the game even ended. 

With less than 2 minutes left and down a goal, the Attack pulled their netminder. A perfect time for Frost and Hayton to connect once again. A hail mary pass from the defending hashmarks sent Hayton who buried on the empty net.

Frost would add another empty netter himself, as this game wrapped up at 6-3.

Now to the road, the Hounds play their first away game of the series on Monday at 7PM in Owen Sound. Their next home game takes place Friday March 29th.



Comments are closed.