As a celebration of International Women’s Day and Zonta Rose Day on March 8th, the Zonta Club of Sault Ste. Marie Area presented a yellow rose to 8 women who have made outstanding contributions to our local community. The following were honoured:
- Jami Della Vedova and Megan Scott – the organizers for Period Purse Sault Ste. Marie which distributes menstrual products to homeless, abused and impoverished women in the community; organizes blitzes in the Sault to get items to fill purses to distribute
- Francine Floreanni – very involved in giving back to her community, including Coats for Kids, Walk A Mile in Her Shoes and support for Zonta
- Sandra Houston – recognized for her work as an arts advocate, role model and community event organizer
- Emma Klooster – recognized for her activism on the Mayor’s Youth Advisory Council, the inaugural president of the Rotary Interact Club at Superior Heights and a strong volunteer in the community (Emma will be presented with her rose when she returns from university in April)
- Stephanie Mitchell – known for her generosity and support to a number of charities, including Zonta; Stephanie is an active member in the Bruce Mines Chamber of Commerce
- Willow Morton – recognized for her volunteer work with Kiwanis, Davey Home Tuck Shop, role model and leader in local sports; in 2015 Willow travelled to Nicaragua with “Me to We” to help build a school in a rural area
- Teala Nadjiwan – recognized for her work as a role model, leader, social justice advocate and activist; Teala spoke at the UN in Geneva about the need for clean drinking water for First Nations in Canada
“We have been honouring women in our community since 2006 and are always amazed at the variety of experience, ages and strengths of these community leaders. Presenting each of these wonderful women with a yellow rose on International Women’s Day is a simple act of recognition for the contributions they have made to Sault Ste. Marie and area and/or globally. They are part of a special group of women honoured across the world on Zonta Rose Day. The Zonta club is proud and privileged to do this,” said Heather Edwards, President of the local club.
Zonta is a global organization of members working together to advance the status of women worldwide through service and advocacy. Zonta International is celebrating its 100th Anniversary in 2019. The Zonta Club of Sault Ste. Marie Area has served the Sault Ste. Marie Area since 1978.