They Live to Fight Again: Hounds Win 3-0


With their backs firmly against the ropes, the Hounds need to join a very seldom class of teams to rally back from a 3-0 series deficit.

The last and only team to comeback from a 3-0 series deficit to win on the road? The 2005 Windsor Spitfire, who defeated the second seeded Soo Greyhounds in double OT of Game 7.

The Greyhounds would need to repeat that exact scenario with a potential game 7 on the road, but with game 4 in front of them Thursday night, the Hounds would need to take the remainder of the series a single game at a time.

The first period was held scoreless, Spirit led the way in shots by a total of 11-8. Both sides looked a little frantic on their feet with the puck bouncing around a bit more than they would have liked.

The Hounds managed to kill off two power plays and Vilalta looked in fantastic making a few great outreached pad stops. The Hounds would carry over 1:30 of power play time into the second period. Hayton also looked fantastic, flying and generating numerous scoring opportunities.

As for Frost, he left the first holding the same shoulder as in game 3. He would sustain the apparent injury in the offensive end and immediately skate off in obvious pain, leaving his gloves and mouth guard on the ice before going straight to the medical room.

Frost would return to the game at the start of the second, and would prove important killing off a Jordan Sambrook hooking penalty early on. A penalty the Hounds faithful made sure the refs knew they were not fond of.

Frost would be instrumental in getting the offense in this game going, with an excellent breakout of his own zone, a beautiful spin pass to Peca, who in turn found Sambrook who had it bounce in his feet before corralling and finding the twine. Sambrook cashed in his third of the playoffs and Hounds are out to the 1-0 lead with 14 minutes left in the frame.

From then on out, it was all Greyhounds. They took over the shot total at the end of the second was 22-17 Hounds.

The third continued where the Hounds left off. High pressure chances, but neither team finding the back of the net. The best chance of the period would not come until the final 7 minutes when Hayton rang a blistering shot off the crossbar, but to no avail.

With less than five to go in the game, Baber of the Spirit took his third minor of the game, opening the door for the Hounds to put the icing on the cake.

If that’s the analogy, then Howdeshell is the baker as he tipped home the initial shot from Frost. With four minutes left, the Hounds are up by two.

Hayton would bury one into the empty net, with Frost picking up his third assist on the tally.

An all around terrific effort, but major props need to be given to Matty Vilalta. A major 25 save shutout, helping the Hounds steal game 4.

No rest for the weary, as the Hounds take on the Spirit tomorrow night in Saginaw for game 5. Puck drop is scheduled for 7:05. If the series goes to game 6, then Sunday night would be the return of the Hounds at the GFL Memorial Gardens.


  1. So happy for Matthew great bounce back game and glad he got the shutout.
    Great game guys one shift at a time , it ain’t over till it’s over .
    Good luck in Saginaw 👍👍

Comments are closed.