Ahead of the 2020 municipal budget, the City of Sault Ste. Marie is hoping to engage with residents regarding municipal operations. The public is invited to join the City as it hosts its Budget 2020 Town Hall and State of the City address on Thursday, October 3 from 6 p.m. – 8 p.m. at the Canadian Bushplane Heritage Centre.
“The Budget Town Hall is a great opportunity for community members to speak with the City about the upcoming budget,” said Mayor Christian Provenzano. “By having staff on hand to provide details on some of the significant items they are working on, we are hoping to obtain substantive and sincere feedback from the community on the budget and the municipality.”
The event begins at 6 p.m. with a State of the City address from Mayor Provenzano. Following his address, individuals, organizations and businesses are invited to provide feedback to Council and City staff from various departments on the 2020 municipal budget. The City’s transit services is also offering free transit to anyone who informs their driver that they are attending the Budget Town Hall.
“This is a great opportunity for our community to come together in an informal and relaxed setting to share priorities for the 2020 municipal year,” says Malcolm White, CAO. “City staff from all areas will be available to discuss important projects and how we can maintain and develop our wonderful community. All ideas gathered throughout the consultation process will be considered as part of the 2020 budget development.”
For those unable to attend the Budget 2020 Town Hall, feedback and ideas can be shared in number of ways:
- Beginning October 1, the City’s online budget tool will be available at saultstemarie.ca/budgetinput. This tool enables taxpayers to indicate the areas where they would like to see tax dollars utilized. The deadline to submit input using the budget tool is November 4, 2019.
- Provide budget feedback on Facebook and Twitter @CitySSM #saultbudget
- Email comments and questions to email@example.com
- Call the Finance Department office at 705-759-5350 or fax ideas to 705-759-8447
- Mail suggestions to: City of Sault Ste. Marie – Finance Department, 99 Foster Drive, Sault Ste. Marie, ON P6A 5X6
Visit saultstemarie.ca/budget to access previous years’ budget information.
The City wishes to thank the Canadian Bushplane Heritage Centre for hosting the Budget 2020 Town Hall and the community for their participation in this important process. All are welcome to attend this free event.