Geo McLean is certain that the Green Party’s 2019 platform best represents the interests of residents of Sault Ste. Marie and of all Canadians in this election. The full platform — made with vigorous consultations and research across Canada — is now available online (www.greenparty.ca/en/platform). McLean believes these pragmatic and forward-thinking policies will see unprecedented support from Sault Ste. Marie voters on Oct. 21.
“We must make immediate and rapid efforts to shift the economy away from fossil fuels,” Mclean said. “We’re headed for a climate catastrophe and it’s urgent we turn this around.”
In order to meet Paris Agreements, Canada needs to halve its greenhouse gas emissions by 2030. Time and again, previous governments have shown they only offer half-measures, equivocal declarations and paltry climate goals.
The Greens have the only platform that proposes a clear and practical path towards meeting Canada’s carbon-reduction commitments, while diversifying its economy through the creation of new industries.
The party’s platform is an alternative to decades of flimsy climate leadership, and corporate cronyism in the federal government. It is the only platform that uses the United Nations’ Sustainable Development Goals as guidelines. Having been vetted by the Parliamentary Budget Office, it is also economically sound. Practically, ethically and fiscally, it stands apart from the old-line party’s platforms. It promises sweeping progress on the local, national and international level.
The rights of women, LGBTQI2+ individuals and Indigenous Peoples stand at the core of the Green Party’s campaign. As the country enters a new decade, it needs new ideas and a young, diverse workforce. Sault Ste. Marie will see the fruits of the Green Party’s labours everyday, in part thanks to the leadership of Geo McLean.
In this election, the Liberals, Conservatives and NDP make promises that will only benefit huge corporations and the wealthy. They pit Canadians in different regions and of different backgrounds against each other for political gain. The Green Party, however, has comprehensive plans for each province and territory, based on a philosophy of ethical, caring leadership.
As a Green candidate in Sault Ste. Marie, Geo McLean pledges to:
● Completely stop all government subsidies going to the fossil fuel industry
● Make post-secondary education free, forgive existing student debt over $10,000 and invest in new training opportunities for the green economy
● Work with Indigenous Peoples towards self-governance and abolish the Indian Act
● Expand healthcare to include dental, mental health, and pharmacare
● Increase taxes on the wealthy and huge corporations, and eliminate the loopholes that allow them to exploit the taxation system
● Fund childcare to increase its quality and the participation of women in the workforce
● Increase government ethics and transparency by legislating new ways to hold politicians and government groups accountable