Cougars Weekend Recap & Athletes of the Week



SUDBURY – The Cougars have punched their ticket to the playoffs. Looking to ride the momentum from a thrilling win last week against Fleming, the lady Cougars were on the road for the last regular season game in Sudbury against Cambrian College. On a cold and windy day, it was tough to get going, but in the 39th of the first half forward Sarah Ferguson was able to get the Cougars on the board with a long shot that was able to get over Cambrian’s keeper.

In the second half the Cougars had their chances but could not capitalize, and in the 78th minute Cambrian was able to get a shot by keeper Payden Schuurhuis in the top corner to tie the game. The game would end in a 1-1 tie. The tie help put the Cougars into the playoff round on Oct 19th. It has not yet been determined who they are playing, but making the playoffs in the Cougars inaugural season is a great accomplishment, one that the college and coaching staff are incredibly proud of.


Up Next: The Cougars face their first playoff opponent on Oct. 19th (team and time TBD)



SUDBURY – The male Cougars were hoping to end their season on a high note this past weekend but came up short against the Cambrian Golden Shield losing 6-2. The Cougars finish their season with a record of 0-6-2. Brett Davie (2G), Connor Tait (1G) and Aidan McBurney (1G) lead the Cougars scoring this season.



FOND DU LAC, WI – In a high tempo, end to end 1st period, the Cougars got out to a 2 goal lead after Noah Serre and Mark Tassone each bulged the twine 1 minute apart at the midway point of the period. The Sabres would answer a few minutes later on the power play and send the teams to the room with the Cougars leading 2-1.

In the second, the Sabres would find themselves in penalty trouble and the Cougars would extend their lead on the powerplay with captain Ryan Vendramin giving the club a 3-1 lead at the 7 minute mark. In a fast paced frame that got chippy, the Sabres would pound away and their tenacious forecheck would pay off as they would pot 2 goals in a 2-minute span late in the period to tie things up at 3-3. Teams would play out the frame and head to the rooms in a deadlock.

Coming out for the 3rd, both teams would trade opportunities and the Sabres would benefit from some hard work as they would gain the zone and rifle a shot that deflects over the shoulder of goalie Richer to give the home team a 4-3 lead. A huge glove save on a breakaway in the next minute by Cougars starter Richer would help the Cougars stay within striking distance and just 2 minutes later, Vendramin would deposit a pass by Lalonde behind the Sabres goalie to notch things up a 4-4. Penalties and trading power plays would be the theme for the rest of the period and both teams would get chances to win it but it would stay tied through regulation.

Heading into OT, the Cougars would come out flying and dominate early on getting a few solid chances in the Marian end. Finally, after a broken rush up ice by Marian, Cougars O’Flynn and Vendramin would team up to get the puck over to rearguard Andrew Barbeau who let loose a cannon from the point that deflects off of a Sabres D man, lifting the team to a 5-4 OT win.
Cougars scoring: Vendramin (2 G 1A), Kaelan. O’Flynn (2A), Mark. Tassone (1 G), Max Khull, Bryceton Lalonde, Tanner Mayne, Austin Rowe 1 A each, Andrew Barbeau, Noah Serre 1G ea.



FOND DU LAC, WI – In the game 2 re-match, both the Cougars and the Sabres came out flying and went toe to toe for most of the contest. This game saw exceptional goaltending at both ends and some high tempo, fast paced end-to-end action. First period action saw both clubs get their chances but it was the Sabres who opened the scoring on a power play at the 7 minute mark banging home a loose puck behind goalie Justin Richer.

That lead would carry over into the second period until Austin Rowe on the power play would deposit the puck into the cage with a rebound to tie things up at 1-1 just 4 minutes into the frame. Furious action would continue as both teams pressed for the lead and the Sabres would get it on a top shelf snipe from a pass behind the net on another power play with 2 minutes to play in the period.  This would send the Cougars to the intermission down 2-1.

Hitting the ice for the 3rd, the Cougar Men would come out on a mission and dominate the first half of the frame and in doing so, would be rewarded as Max Khull would even the contest 2-2 from the slot on the power play at the 7-minute mark. As the game wore on, both clubs would feverishly try to regain the lead but could not capitalize as the goalies took over from there making huge stops and send the teams to OT in a 2-2 deadlock.

In OT, the Cougars would have a couple of chances to end it and hit a crossbar in the process. With 2 minutes left the Cougars would take a penalty but kill it off ensuring at least a point as the game finished tied at 2-2.
Cougar scoring: Austin Rowe, Max Khull 1G, Ryan Vendramin 2A, Parker Morgan , Kaiden McDonald 1 A.


MUSKEGON, MI – The Cougars raced in their final tune-up race before provincials later this month. Down in Muskegon on Thursday October 11th, the Cougars went up against Michigan based opponents aiming to improve before the biggest race of the year on the 26th of October.

The torrential downpour could not stop all cougar athletes from posting personal best times. The women’s team was led by Hilary Ireton with a time of 23:30, followed by Stacey Bursche with a time of 26:30, followed by Julia Saal with a time of 26:43.

The men’s team was led by Andrew Budau with a time of 28:56, followed by Jordan Reinke with a time of 30:54, Shane Charron with a time of 31:23, and Jared Young with a time of 37:57.  This was by far the best showing from the Sault College Cross-Country team in three years.

Up Next: The Cougars head down to host St. Clair College for the OCAA provincials race on October 26th.