The Sault Community Career Centre has a new, FREE, youth employment program. Choosing My Next M.O.V.E., funded by the Ontario Trillium Foundation, empowers young people to decide if work is their “next move.” It helps them explore what “choosing work” looks like – what they need to consider and do to move towards that choice, and how work aligns with their wants, needs, and values.
Through the program, youth will identify their strengths and develop skills that will enhance their success with employment. They will also have an opportunity to “Walk Around the World of Work” to see what types of jobs exist in Sault Ste. Marie, that they might not have considered or know.
- 11, group-based, in-class sessions. Each session is about 3 hours long. Monday to Thursday
- Exploring different jobs, careers, and employment options
- A series of Job Trials/Job Shadowing sessions
- Paid 3 to 6-week long work placement with a local employer to develop and enhance skills through a practical, supportive, on-the-job experience (optional)
- A personal Job Developer to help implement a young person’s developed, guided, employment plan
- Young people 16 – 26 years of age
- Not working or have never worked
- Not in education full-time
- Could be a recipient of social assistance
- Could be living at home with caregivers or homeless
- Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or person who has been granted refugee status
Legally entitled to work according to provincial legislation and regulations
Choosing My Next M.O.V.E. allows participants to “choose” to include work as part of their lives and helps them navigate their “next move” – employment.
There are two upcoming Choosing My Next M.O.V.E. program start dates – Monday, November 4th, 2019, and Monday, November 18th, 2019. For more information about the program or to register, please contact Greg Callaghan, Program Facilitator, at 705.759.0909 x 4235 or Greg.Callaghan@saultcareercentre.ca