Fire Chief Peter Johnson is urging families in Sault Ste. Marie to practice their home fire escape plan as part of Fire Prevention Week.
Fire Prevention Week runs from October 6-12th, 2019. This year’s theme is “Not Every Hero Wears a Cape. Plan and Practice Your Escape!” When the smoke alarms sound, everyone must know where to go – that’s why it is so important for everyone to have working smoke alarms and to develop and practice a home fire escape plan.
“In a fire, you may have only seconds to safely escape your home,” said Fire Chief Peter Johnson. “Practise your home fire escape plan and make sure everyone can get out safely.”
Fire and smoke can spread quickly, so be prepared in advance with these simple steps for home fire escape planning:
Assess the needs of everyone in your home
· Identify anyone who requires assistance to get out of the home safely, such as small children or older adults
Make sure that you have working smoke alarms on every storey of the home and outside all sleeping areas
· Make sure everyone in the home knows the sound of the smoke alarm
Identify all possible exits (doors and windows) and make sure they work
· Know two ways out of all areas, if possible
Everyone must know what to do when the smoke alarm sounds
· Assign someone to help those who need assistance
· Identify a safe meeting place outside
· Call the fire department from a neighbour’s home or cell phone
Practice your home fire escape plan
· Have everyone participate
Sault Ste. Marie Fire Services is hosting a series of events during Fire Prevention Week including information booths setup at Canadian Tire, the Station Mall, Walmart, and Home Depot. ONNTV will be airing a segment of live Fire Extinguisher Training with Tim Murphy, as well as Sault Fire Services will be hosting a showcase event on Saturday, October 12th, 2019. Updates on the event will be provided to the public throughout the week on social media and through local media agencies.