With just days before the 43rd Federal General Election, The Liberals and Conservatives continue to be in a horse race to the finish and that includes the riding of Sault Ste. Marie.
According to 338Canada.com , their latest poll indicates Terry Sheehan keeping his seat for the Liberals locally, while NDP’s Carol Hughes has a comfortable lead in the Algoma-Manitoulin riding.
Here’s the break down: 338Canada.com gives the Liberals an 80 percent chance of keeping their seat in Sault Ste. Marie according to the October 16th poll. The Conservatives land at just 19 percent chance of taking the seat with Sonny Spina. Meanwhile, Sara MCleary sits at a 1 percent chance of taking the riding says the poll released Wednesday.
Sheehan leads in popular vote projection at 35.7 percent followed by Spina at 30.1 percent, the NDP lag behind at 24.5% . The liberals have dropped 3 percent since October 7th while the NDP have gained over 4% since the October 7th poll projection. Spina and the Conservative have held fairly steady only seeing a 1 percent drop.
Nationally, the numbers have been more stable over the campaign. The latest Nanos poll conducted October 15 gives both the Liberals under Justin Trudeau and the Conservatives’ Andrew Scheer a tie with 132 seats each. Jagmeet Singh NDP sits at 33 seats. Currently, no single party has enough projected seats to form a majority government.
In the Algoma-Manitoulin-Kapuskasing riding , Carol Hughes and the NDP appear to be keeping that seat with 41.4 percent of the vote projected, while the Liberal candidate, Heather Wilson sits at 28.4 percent and Conservative candidate Dave Williamson lands at 21.6 percent of the projected vote in that riding. The poll gives the NDP a 96 percent chance of retaining that seat. The 338Canada project is a statistical model of electoral projections based on opinion polls, electoral history of Canadian provinces and demographic data. for complete polls and data go to 338canada.com
There’s still three days before election day. On that note, ONNtv will provide live local coverage starting at 8pm with analysis and a look back at the local campaign and as polls close at 9:30, we will have the fastest live results for you as they come in. Join us Monday October 21st at 8pm ONNtv and on SaultOnline.com