Health and wellness-related vendors set up booths at the Station Mall on Saturday as part of the Sault Ste. Marie Chamber of Commerce’s annual We Are The Soo: Health and Wellness Expo.
This expo is one of the ways the COC raises awareness about not only who they are and what they do, but also of some of their members and the services they offer to the community.
Chamber of Commerce CEO Rory Ring said they host the Health and Wellness Expo in January to help kick start the year along with people’s resolutions.
“People start thinking about how to start anew in the new year, so we try to help promote our businesses that do those things here in Sault Ste. Marie,” he explained to SaultOnline.
One of those businesses is Healthy Sault, which is a new campaign started by local life enrichment coach Lou Derrer, founder of thenudge.ca.
Derrer, who started this initiative over the new year, hopes to create a health movement within the Sault by inviting the community to take a pledge (which can be found here) to:
- be open to learning new, fun and engaging ways to help myself and my family live a full and vibrant life in Sault Ste. Marie,
- be curious about my own personal health needs and be willing to explore what a healthy life truly means to me,
- take a proactive approach to my own healthcare with the help of my community.,
- respectfully contribute to health related conversations, surveys, and community events when given the opportunity; and
- lean on the Healthy Sault community throughout my journey to become my healthiest self.
Derrer said he hopes this initiative helps Saultites set intentions to live a healthier lifestyle throughout the year. Part of this involves him hosting free events and activities such as free online coaching, organizing walks and more, as a way to “mobilize the community and get them out.”
“There’s a lot of need out there,” he explained.
“Our approach to health care is relying too much on treatment and not enough on prevention.
“I’m really trying to get people to wake up and tell them that you can have a healthy future if you choose to live a healthy lifestyle, but you really can’t have one without the other.”
Since the launch on Dec. 31, 2019, Derrer said he’s had over 200 people sign up; some at Saturday’s expo. He said he hopes to see that number continue to grow.
For more information, or to sign the pledge, visit the Healthy Sault website here.
To keep up-to-date on COC events, check out their Facebook page here.