OTTAWA — The Canadian Army says the launching of Iranian missiles against military bases in Iraq highlights the need for a new system to defend Canadian troops against enemy air attacks from aircraft, missiles and drones.
Iran fired missiles at two military bases in Iraq on Tuesday, including one that has housed Canadian troops for more than five years as part of the fight against the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant.
No one was injured in the attack, which was in retaliation for the killing of Iranian Maj.-Gen. Qassem Suleimani by a U.S. drone last week.
But Canadian Army spokeswoman Karla Gimby, speaking on behalf of Army commander Lt.-Gen. Wayne Eyre, says the missile attack underscores the need to obtain a new air-defence system for troops on the ground.
The lack of such a system has been flagged by successive Canadian Army commanders as a critical gap since the military retired the last of its air-defence weapons in 2012.
However, efforts to acquire a new system have been stalled for years, with delivery not currently expected before 2026.