Hounds Fight Hard, Lose to 67’S in OT


David vs. Goliath.

A classic battle of the underdog and the favourite was told Friday night as the Hounds took on the Ottawa 67’s.

The Hounds loo

The Greyhounds are on the outside looking in for the 2020 OHL playoffs, while the Ottawa 67’s did not have a single doubt on whether they’d be in the postseason.  Already having clinched a spot, the 67’s are first in the entire OHL with an impressive 42-10-0-1 record. 

The first period started off as many would expect, but the Hounds were determined to rewrite the narrative. 

Just over a minute into action, a bad neutral zone turn over ended up with the puck in the back of the Hounds net as Joseph Garreffa potted his 29th. The 67’s jumped out to the early 1-0 lead. 

The Hounds put their head down and continued to work, managing to out shoot the opposition in the first frame 9-6. That same hard work earned them two power plays and used one to their advantage.

As the first power play started, the Hounds had a mix up that led to a massive sprawling save by Bailey Brkin. A shaky start to the man advantage but Brkin stood tall.

Jaromir Pytlik would tie the game up on that same power play by crashing the net and jamming home the Tanner Dickinson rebound to send the game tied into intermission. The key to the hound’s success early was keeping their feet moving and shaking off the early goal.

The second period’s scoring would be kicked off with the 67’s Mitchell Hoelscher blasting a puck into the twine to once again take the lead.

Only a minute later, Tanner Dickinson would reply to once again tie the game.  The back and forth affair would be the theme of the evening. 

Joseph Gareffa would net his second goal, and third point of the evening with a minute and a half left remaining. As his celebration looked like he was going to enjoy the lead going into the intermission, Joe Carroll responded.

30 seconds later, with only 60 remaining, Carroll made a fantastic move to lift the puck over the glove of Cedrick Andree to send the game tied at three into the final 20 minutes.

Once again, it would be the 67’s taking the lead for the fourth time in the game with a 4-3 lead just 1:07 into the third. Austin Keating would get the credit for his 29th, with Garreffa notching his fourth point.

Just as hope was all but lost, Brkin made multiple key stops before getting pulled for the extra attacker. With the 6 on 5 advantage, Rory Kerins would rip a shot in to tie the game at 4-4, sending the game in to overtime. A vital point earned if the Hounds wish to make the post season.

It was just Joseph Garreffa’s night, as he was the one to score the OT winner, capping off the hat-trick performance.

Another important two points are on the line Sunday afternoon, as the Hounds take on Sarnia at 2 p.m. at the GFL Memorial Gardens.


Comments are closed.