After careful consideration and closely monitoring the COVID-19 situation, the City of Sault Ste. Marie has made the decision to reduce its service levels in several areas and initiate closures and cancellations locally. Effective Tuesday, March 17 until further notice the following services will be impacted:
- All City recreation facilities, community centres and arenas are closed until further notice. This affects registered programs, drop-in programs and rentals for the Northern Community Centre, Seniors Drop-In Centre, John Rhodes Community Centre, GFL Memorial Gardens, McMeeken Centre and the Ermatinger∙Clergue National Historic Site.
- The Civic Centre remains open with normal operating hours. Enhanced cleaning and disinfecting measures have been implemented. Members of the public are asked to refrain from visiting the Civic Centre if they are feeling unwell or have travelled outside of Canada within the past 14 days.
- Road and sidewalk operations and maintenance including snow removal, winter maintenance and road, pot hole and sidewalk maintenance continues.
- Garbage and recycling collection is not impacted.
- Transit is not impacted. Riders are asked to refrain from use of public transit if you are feeling unwell or have travelled outside of Canada within the past 14 days. Transit Services has enhanced (more frequent and in-depth) cleaning practices in high-touch areas.
The City of Sault Ste. Marie has business continuity plans in place to ensure essential services continue to be delivered during this time.