The City of Sault Ste. Marie is taking additional action to ensure the continued delivery of critical services while protecting the health and safety of City staff and the community. Effective Friday, March 20 until at least April 6, 2020 the following services will be impacted:
· All City facilities will be closed to the public including the Civic Centre.
· Economic Development and Tourism services are closed. Any requests for service can call 705-759-5432. Economic Development inquires can be directed to [email protected] and Tourism inquires can be directed to [email protected].
· City transit continues to provide regular service to those that require essential travel only. Transit buses will be accessible through the rear door in alignment with social distancing protocol. Those with accessibility needs can access the front door. Parabus clients should call to cancel any non-essential transportation. Anyone who is ill, experiencing symptoms related to COVID-19 or has travelled out of country within the last 14 days will not be permitted access.
· Cemetery office will be closed. Funeral directors, families in need and delivery services will be accepted. Call 705-759-5336 for service.
· Public Works location at 128 Sackville Road is closed. Service requests can be submitted by phone at 705-759-5201 or online at www.saultstemarie.ca/servicerequest. Waste and recycling collection and winter operations are not impacted.
· The City landfill is open for essential service only. For the safety of staff and visitors, payment can only be made with debit or pre-approved credit. Cash will not be accepted. Anyone who is ill, experiencing symptoms related to COVID-19 or has travelled out of country within the last 14 days will not be permitted access.
· The Legal department and the Provincial Offences office is closed. Fine payments can be made online at www.saultstemarie.ca/eservices. Payments cannot be made over the phone. Damage claims can be completed online. All Freedom of Information requests with the accompanying $5 can be mailed to the Legal Department for processing. For further inquiries regarding the services of the City’s Legal department contact 705-759-5407.
· Building and by-law inquires and service requests can only be submitted by phone to 705-759-5410 or online at [email protected]
· The City Clerk’s department will be closed. Cemetery and funeral services and urgent marriage licence applications can be processed. Further inquiries can be directed to 705-759-5388 or [email protected]
“The City is committed to taking the appropriate measures to protect the health and safety of our staff and the community at large, and we will continue to follow the advice of public health experts, while making sure to provide essential services,” said Mayor Christian Provenzano.
“I want to recognize our staff for their commitment, effort and service to our community during this challenging period. It has been indispensable.”
“City staff will be committed and creative as we continue to provide our services to the community while taking necessary precautions for community health,” said Malcolm White, CAO, City of Sault Ste. Marie.
Residents requiring access to City-related business are asked to do so remotely when possible, online, by telephone through regular mail, or to delay any business that requires in-person interaction with City employees.
Citizens with urgent matters requiring the attention of staff are advised to contact the appropriate department to determine if accommodations can be made.
The City of Sault Ste. Marie continues to work closely with Algoma Public Health and community stakeholders to monitor the COVID-19 situation and respond accordingly. For the most current information, updates will be posted to the City’s website at www.saultstemarie.ca/covid19 and on social media.