The City of Sault Ste. Marie is reminding taxpayers that the next installment of City tax payments is scheduled for May 5, 2020. Due to the current COVID-19 pandemic, taxpayers will have more time to pay their property tax bill if they choose. At its meeting on March 23, 2020, Council approved the following measures:
- Interest and penalties on property taxes due May 5, 2020 have been waived.
- Pre-authorized payments are not impacted by this measure. Canceling a pre-authorized tax payment for the May 5 tax installment must be done by May 1, 2020 at noon. Taxpayers that wish to do so are asked to complete the pre-authorized property tax payment cancellation form and submit it to the Tax department by email at [email protected]. To re-enroll in a pre-authorized payment plan, taxpayers will have to submit a new application. Please contact the City’s Tax department for assistance.
- Waived interest and penalty provisions for remittance of the Municipal Accommodations Tax is until June 30, 2020.
- Waived interest on accounts receivable is until June 30, 2020.
The Civic Centre is currently closed to the public. Taxpayers are encouraged to use one of the following non-contact payment methods for the May 5 payment date:
- Use the outside drop-off box located near the front steps of the Civic Centre (cheques only, no cash)
- Mail cheques to: Accounting & Tax Division, 99 Foster Drive, Sault Ste. Marie, ON P6A 5X6
- Call or pay online through most financial institutions.
- Choose one of the pre-authorized tax payment plan by May 1 at noon:
- Automatic bank withdrawal where payments are withdrawn from your bank account on the fifth of each month (January to October).
- A due date payment plan where payments are withdrawn from your bank account on the date taxes are due.
Members of the City’s Tax department are available to provide assistance throughout this process. If you have any questions, please email [email protected] or call 705-759-5290.
The City thanks the community for their patience during this time.