The safety and well-being of transit customers and staff is paramount. Transit Services have implemented some service modifications to reflect reduced ridership demands and support the social distancing efforts recommended by Algoma Public Health and provincial and federal governments. These modifications will be in effect beginning at 6:15 a.m. Wednesday, April 1, 2020 until further notice:
- Sault Ste. Marie transit is to be used for essential travel only.
- Effective Wednesday, buses will operate 1-hour service leaving the terminal at 6:15 a.m. (Saturday service schedule). The last bus will leave the terminal at 11:15 p.m.
- The Community bus will leave the terminal at 6:15 a.m.
- Sunday service hours remain the same. On-Demand transit will continue to operate as normal on Sunday evenings.
- Customers are asked to board and exit buses using the rear doors only. If you have a mobility aide, or otherwise require the ramp, you can continue to use the front doors.
- Physical distancing is needed by customers and staff to ensure we continue providing public transit service to those who need it. Transit Services will be limiting the amount of passengers to 10 – 12 riders per bus. If a bus passes by, it means the driver has reached the passenger limit. Every effort will be made to deploy another bus when possible.
- Parabus clients should call 705-942-1404 to cancel any non-essential transportation.
- Anyone who is ill, experiencing symptoms related to COVID-19 or has travelled out of country within the last 14 days should not be accessing Transit services.
“We are continuing to be there for those that need transportation services including people going to work at healthcare facilities, and other critical services and going for a weekly grocery trip,” said Brent Lamming, Director of Community Services. “We ask that customers leave plenty of time for their transit trip to allow for physical distancing and enhanced safety measures. We thank our customers for their patience and our drivers for their dedicated service to our community.”
Transit services continues to provide an essential community service in a manner that is safe and accessible to all. Customers are urged to respect onboard protocols and signage at all times.
Media Contact: Transit Service Contact:
Tessa Pino-Vecchio Brent Lamming
Corporate Communications Director, Community Services
City of Sault Ste. Marie City of Sault Ste. Marie
CITY OF SAULT STE. MARIE
99 Foster Drive, Sault Ste. Marie, ON P6A 5X6