SAULT STE. MARIE, ON – April 27th, 2020 – On April 25th, 2020, Sault Ste. Marie fire crews responded to a call of a residential fire in the 100 block of Panoramic Drive. The fire started just after 7 p.m. in the kitchen area pf the residence.
Homeowners were alerted of the fire by a working smoke alarm and were able safely evacuate the dwelling. Upon arrival fire crews were directed to the kitchen area of the dwelling where a pot on the stove was left unattended and started the fire. The Red Cross was called to the scene to assist displaced residents.
On Sunday, April 26th, 2020, Sault Ste. Marie fire crews responded to a call of a residential fire in the 0-100 block of Spruce Street. The fire started shortly before 11a.m. Crews were able to contain the fire and ventilate the residence.
The fire was a result of improper handling of smoking materials.
Sault Fire Services would like to remind residents of the importance of fire safety while the COVID-19 restrictions for staying home are in place. “Caution should be used while in the kitchen and also when discarding smoking materials,” said Public Education Officer Aaron Gravelle. “We need to change our behavior, as the two leading causes of fire incidents in Sault Ste. Marie continue to be unattended cooking and improperly discarded smoking materials.”