July 30, 2020 (Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario) – Algoma Power wishes to advise customers of funding programs available to them if they are having trouble paying their electric bills during the pandemic.
Customers may be eligible for a one time, on-bill credit to help them catch up their electricity bills and resume regular payments through the COVID-19 Energy Assistance Program (“CEAP”).
In order to be eligible for the CEAP, customers have to meet a number of criteria, some of which are below:
- The customer has an electricity account with Algoma Power;
- The customer’s account was in good standing on March 17, 2020 and the customer was not enrolled in an arrears payment agreement for amounts owing prior to March 17, 2020;
- The customer failed to make complete payment for the electricity charges on at least two bills issued since March 17, 2020 and has an overdue balance on the date of their application;
- The customer or the customer’s spouse who resides in the same residence
- Is unemployed on the date of their CEAP application; and
- Has receive Employment Insurance or the Canada Emergency Response Benefit (CERB) or received Employment Insurance (EI) after March 17, 2020;
Additional information on the criteria is available on the Company’s website http://www.algomapower.com/about/index.aspx?l=0,1,5,6244 or customers may call our customer service department at 705-256-3850 or toll free at 1-877-457-7378. There are a number of other programs also available to support customers who are having trouble paying their bills during this pandemic. More information on these programs is available on the company’s website www.algomapower.com.
“We encourage customers to contact our customer service department to speak with one of our representatives about the programs available to assist them,” says Kristine Carmichael, Director Corporate and Customer Services, FortisOntario. “We understand the challenges our customers are having during this pandemic and we are here to work with them. Along with the CEAP program, there are also the annual LEAP funds, the OESP program, and Arrears Payment Agreements. We encourage our customers to contact our office to find out more about what is available to them”.
A similar $8-million program is being developed by the government for small businesses and is expected to be ready next month.
Algoma Power Inc. (“API”) is a wholly-owned subsidiary of FortisOntario Inc. (“FortisOntario”). API has approximately 12,000 customers in the Algoma District of northern Ontario, and more than 1,800 kilometers of distribution lines in an area that covers over 14,000 square kilometers. For further information visit www.algomapower.com.