Sault Ste. Marie, ON –The safety and well-being of transit customers and staff is paramount. As part of Stage 2 Intermediate Phase, the City of Sault Ste. Marie Transit Services will implement further service modifications to support the physical distancing efforts recommended by Algoma Public Health and provincial and federal governments.
“With the installation of shields on City Transit buses passengers can resume front entry,” says Brent Lamming, Directory of Community Services. “The shields provide a protective barrier for both the driver and passenger in alignment with recommended social distancing guidelines. A number of seats will continue to be restricted for use and passenger capacity will slightly increase.Additional cleaning efforts will continue and buses remain available for call out when capacity limits are reached.”
Transit Services modifications will be in effect beginning at 6:15 a.m. Monday, July 13, 2020 until further notice:
- Sault Ste. Marie transit is to be used for essential travel only.
- Buses will continue to operate 1-hourservice leaving the terminal at 6:15 a.m. (Saturday service schedule). The last bus will leave the terminal at 11:15 p.m.
- The Community bus will leave the terminal at 6:15a.m.
- Sunday service hours remain the same. On-Demand transit will continue to operate as normal on Sunday evenings.
- With the installation of protective shields for the transit operators, customers are asked to board and pay through the front door and exit through the rear door. If you have a mobility aide, or otherwise require the ramp, you can continue to use the front door for entry and exit.
- Physical distancing is needed by customers and staff to ensure we continue providing public transit service to those who need it. Transit Services will be increasing the amount of passengers from10 –12 riders to 15–16 riders per bus.Seats will continue to be blocked in accordance with the recommended physical distancing guidelines.If a bus passes by, it means the driver has reached the passenger limit. Every effort will be made to deploy another bus when possible.
- Passengers are encouraged to wear masks with the exception of children under the age of two, those with respiratory or medical conditions that make it difficult to wear a mask or those who have difficulty putting a mask on themselves. Mask wearing will not be enforced, although is strongly recommended.
- Bus Pass purchases will be extended for those that were valid as of March 19:
- Monthly Pass: Any pass that was still valid after March 19 will be extended until July 31, 2020.-
- 92 day Pass: Any 92 Day pass that was valid after March 19be extended until end of July 31, 2020.
- 4 Month Semester Pass: Any 4 month semester passes issued in March would be extended to the end of August 31, 2020.
Bus passes can be purchased at 111 Huron St, Rome’s Independent Grocer and the Market Mall postal office.
- The Transit Terminal remains closed
- Parabus clients should call 705-942-1404 to cancel any non-essential transportation.