The City of Sault Ste. Marie continues to cautiously loosen restrictions at its facilities using a phased approach to ensure appropriate safety measures for the community and limiting public health risks. As part of the Province’s Stage 3 reopening plan, the City will begin to implement the following modifications for John Rhodes Community Centre Arena #1 and Arena #2. Stage 3 implementation will continue to support the physical distancing efforts recommended by Algoma Public Health and provincial and federal governments.
The John Rhodes Community Centre modifications under Stage 3 conditions includes:
- Amateur and recreational sports leagues may resume so long as they do not allow prolonged or deliberate physical contact between players or if they have modifications to avoid physical contact between players.
- Participants will be limited to a maximum of 50 individuals per ice surface.
- Spectators at all sporting events will be subject to gathering limits of 50 people per arena. Physical distancing measures with assigned and designated seating will be implemented.
- Exhibition games are permitted in accordance with social distancing requirements.
- Leagues must contain no more than 50 participants total. If participants in a league exceed 50, the league may divide into smaller groups of no more than 50. Players are not permitted to play against athletes outside of their league or group.
- In Stage 3, locker rooms, change rooms, showers and clubhouses in the facility will open. Two change rooms per team will be used to provide further distancing support. Enhanced cleaning measures will take place following each use of change rooms.
- City employees and members of the public who enter or remain in a City facility must wear a mask or face covering. Exceptions include children under the age of two, those with respiratory or medical conditions that make it difficult to wear a mask or those who have difficulty putting a mask on themselves. Athletes participating in on-ice activities are not required to wear a mask. Refer to on-site signage and instructions.
“Various measures continue to be in place to align with recommended social distancing guidelines. Rink ambassadors continue to provide an added level of safety to educate the public and ensure compliance of the guidelines. We look forward to opening both arenas again and encourage responsible use of the facilities within the guidelines provided,” says Brent Lamming, Directory of Community Services.
For more information or to make an ice rental booking please email Marc Foggia, Events Assistant at [email protected]. For the latest information on City services and facilities affected by COVID-19 visit saultstemarie.ca/COVID19. The City thanks citizens for their cooperation and patience during this time.