Your museum is launching an ongoing project that seeks community input on experiences during the COVID-19 pandemic and hopes for our community’s future.
Re-Creating Our Community is our newest project that will involve collaboration with individuals and organizations in Sault Ste. Marie and the Algoma District to help us reflect on and preserve this historical moment. We are asking folks to contribute in various ways, such as:
· Create a cardboard model of your home, a local site or landmark.
· Create a model of an imagined place that represents what you want to see in the future.
· Create an art or craft project that responds to the prompts below.
· There is no emphasis on artistic quality or style. Anyone can join in!
Submissions should be under two ft square maximum. Ideally, between 6 -18 inches on the longest side.
If you aren’t sure where to start, here are some guiding prompts to respond to:
· What do you want to see for our community post-pandemic?
· What are your hopes for the future?
· What have you been doing during this period? Where have you spent most of this time?
· Where do you miss going? Where do you wish you could spend this time?
We want to make it easy, accessible and safe for you to share with us!
Free materials kits, templates, and forms are available at the Sault Ste. Marie Museum. We can arrange contact-free pickup – just call us to set-up.
We are supporting participation by providing free virtual and physical programming including workshops, demonstrations and make-along. We are also providing materials kits, tips and templates. Contact-free pickup of materials kits and submissions can be arranged by contacting the Sault Museum.
There is no deadline to submit or participate. We know this is a difficult time for everyone, and we want you to contribute when you feel safe and comfortable doing so.
For those who want to contribute in a digital format, we are collecting videos, images of hand-made signs, scanned or typed journals and diaries, and more as part of our COVID Rapid Response Collection. See our website for details!
Contact us at [email protected] or at 705 -759 -7278.