Sault Ste. Marie: After four long months, the Sault Ste. Marie YMCA is so excited to welcome back Y members on Wednesday, July 22nd! The facility has been closed since March 16th due to COVID-19 restrictions.
The YMCA has spent the last couple of months preparing for this re-opening to ensure health and safety protocols and procedures are put in place to keep members and staff safe. Just a few of the safety measures you’ll see when you visit the Y include:
- Reduced hours of operation (Monday – Friday 5:30 a.m. – 7:00 p.m. (Closed 1-3 p.m. for deep cleaning), Saturday 7 a.m. – 7 p.m. (Sunday CLOSED)
- Masks required inside the building other than when actively engaging in an athletic or fitness activity including water-based activities; consuming food or drink; for any emergency or medical purpose
- Reduced building access
- Physical distancing measures to maintain 2 metres between participants
- Increased sanitization and disinfection and additional hand-sanitizing stations
- Barriers at Membership Desks
- Health screenings upon entry
- Directional arrows to control foot traffic flow
- Reduced class sizes
- Staff available to assist you
At this point in time, only current Y members or those looking to purchase a new Y membership will be permitted to use the facilities. Members are not required to book time slots for use of the fitness centre, capacity will be carefully monitored. Members who wish to use the pool must register for fitness classes and call ahead to pre-book a swim lane. Please refer to the YMCA website for a full list of hours.
“This closure period has been devastating for charities such as the Y and despite that we continued to serve the community in ways that we never have before. We know now more than ever the community will need us as they recover from the pandemic and we ask that Sault Ste. Marie #StayWithUs by continuing your memberships, purchasing a new membership or donating so that we can continue to serve the community in crisis like we have for the past 120 years,” says Tracey Cooke, CEO of the Sault Ste. Marie YMCA.
The YMCA community knows how important it is for kids, families and individuals to have a safe place to connect, belong and thrive. We know that the need for these opportunities has increased through this period of isolation, while at the same time, the financial situation of many in our community has worsened. As we look to reopening our facilities to members, we know that the need for financial assistance is eminent and the generosity of our members are needed and appreciated more than ever. Donate today.