The staff at the John Rhodes Community Centre are pleased to begin offering modified swim lesson programming from September 19 to November 9, 2020. Registration for programs begins at 8 p.m. on Wednesday, September 9, 2020.
n response to COVID-19 restrictions and physical distancing measures, a modified
swim lesson program will be offered with health and safety as the top priority.
In compliance with Provincial Guidelines for opening facilities and in consultation with
Algoma Public Health, the following modifications will be in effect:
– Swim lessons will run once a week for a six-week session beginning September
19 and ending November 9.
– Class sizes and the number of classes offered per swim block have been
– All lessons will be taught at a distance by qualified instructors to allow
participants and staff to maintain a physical distance (2m) from others. The
instructor may teach from in the water or on the pool deck to accommodate
– Participants registered in all Pre-school levels (Sea Turtle to Whale) and Swim
Kids 1 through 4 (including private lessons) will be required to have a parent or
caregiver (16 years of age or older) comfortable in chest-deep water accompany
them in the water for physical contact and safety purposes.
– The number of people accompanying swimmers is limited to one adult in the
water. Designated viewing space is very limited. Those who choose to view a
lesson must maintain a physical distance (2m) from others and wear a mask or
– Minimal lesson equipment will be used and all equipment will be cleaned and
sanitized between each use. Swimmers are encouraged to bring their own
personal instruction equipment if needed (goggles, swim caps etc.) and are not
to be shared by other swimmers.
At the John Rhodes Community Centre – Pool:
– Users will be screened and required to sign a waiver prior to being admitted to
– Swimmers must arrive 10 minutes before scheduled programming, ready to swim
in their bathing suit. Swimmers are asked to proceed to the pool deck following
directions from staff and the posted signage.
– There will be limited changing and locker facilities available. Bathrooms will be
available as needed.
– While waiting for lessons and after exiting the pool (but not in the pool),
participants must wear masks or face coverings.
– Swimmers are asked to leave the building when their lesson is complete and exit
through the designated exit point. Lingering on the deck or in the change rooms
is not permitted.
The City of Sault Ste. Marie looks forward to welcoming the community back safely to
the John Rhodes Community Centre. Fees apply to all programming and debit and
credit card is preferred. To register visit saultstemarie.ca/swimminglessons.
For inquires call the John Rhodes Community Centre at 705-759-5419 or email