The City of Sault Ste. Marie and the Sault Ste. Marie Police Service reminds residents that parking infractions outside regular business hours are enforced proactively by the Sault Ste. Marie Police Service and Special Constables from NORPRO.
Motorists should keep the following in mind when parking vehicles in the city:
- Under by-law 77-200-5(14), parking of vehicles on city streets is not permitted from November 1 to April 30 between midnight and 6 a.m.
- Sidewalks should not be blocked at any time.
- Vehicles should not be parked in designated fire routes.
- Vehicles should not be parked in an accessible parking space unless a Ministry of Transportation accessible parking permit is displayed on the dashboard or sun visor with the permit number and expiry date clearly visible.
- Under by-law 70-200-6 Schedule A, parking of vehicles on bicycle lanes on City streets including the newly created bicycle lanes is not permitted. Motorists found in violation may be issued a ticket. Please adhere to the No Parking signage.
- Parking is not permitted on or partly on boulevards, especially on streets where bicycle lanes are present.
- Vehicles should not be parked on city streets facing the wrong direction.
- Vehicles should not be parked on private property without the consent of the owner or occupant.
- Vehicles should not be parked within three metres of a fire hydrant.
- Vehicles with expired license plates or without license plates are prohibited from parking on city streets.
- If your vehicle is found to be in violation of any parking law and/or by-law, you may be issued a ticket and your vehicle may be towed at your expense.