The YMCA is advising that a staff member has tested positive for COVID-19 and is currently isolating at home. The following email was sent out to their membership today around 2:30 p.m.:
We have recently been informed that a staff member at our YMCA has tested positive for COVID-19. The person is currently isolating at home and is following directives from public health. Anyone who may have come into direct contact with the individual and who may be at risk of exposure has been notified by Algoma Public Health regarding testing. There has been no close contact with members in this case.
At the YMCA of Sault Ste. Marie, the health and safety of our members, participants, volunteers, and staff is our first priority. Following an extensive assessment, public health authority name has confirmed that our health and fitness programs and facilities are safe to remain open. The source of the exposure is not from the YMCA and as a result, there is no risk to our health and fitness members.
Please rest assured that under the guidance and direction of public health authority name, we have been actively working throughout the pandemic to implement preventative measures to reduce the threat of COVID-19 spreading within all our YMCA facilities. These measures include, but are not limited to, modifying our spaces and amenities to increase sanitization and disinfection, such as:
- Providing additional hand-sanitizing stations
- Removal of non-essential or difficult-to-clean equipment
- Reduced capacity, by utilizing capacity limits and monitoring
- Plexi-glass barriers at our Membership desk
- Health screenings prior to entry
- Directional signage to control the flow of participants in certain areas of the building
- Contactless scan-in stations
- Closure from 2-3 p.m. every weekday and Sunday’s for deep cleaning
- Physical distancing measures (including signage, floor markings, and some unavailable or rotating equipment) to maintain maximum distance between users
- Staff available to assist you
We truly appreciate our members and staff playing a part in keeping everyone safe during the pandemic. A friendly reminder as to some of the things you can do to help:
- Stay home if you’re not feeling well
- Visit Health Canada for evolving information about risk factors (including travel to certain locations) and symptoms
- Call Algoma Public Health for direction if you have symptoms or current risk factors apply to you, or if you have questions
- Wash your hands frequently and avoid touching your face
- Practice cough and sneeze etiquette
- Always wipe equipment down before and after use
- Use cashless forms of payment whenever possible
- Be kind to each other
As always, we work very closely with public health and will continue to do so, to maintain the highest measures of safety so that our members can focus on their health and stay active during this difficult time.
If you have any questions, please reach out to our membership services team at [email protected].