Lakers Finish in a 2-2 Tie against the Alabama Huntsville Chargers

LSSU Lakers Hockey Coach

SAULT STE. MARIE, Mich. – The Lake Superior State hockey team skated to a 2-2 tie against the Alabama Huntsville Chargers in the opening game of a non-conference series on Saturday, Dec. 5 at the Taffy Abel Arena in Sault Ste. Marie, Mich.

At the close of the first period, the Lakers held a 2-0 lead over the UAH Chargers thanks to goals by Miroslav Mucha and Chase Gamelin. It marked the first goal of the season for both players.

The Lakers first goal was scored by Mucha at 13:56 of the opening period to give the Lakers the game’s first advantage. The play began with defenseman Will Redell sent the puck into the Lakers offensive zone from the neutral zone where it bounced off of the end boards to Yuki Miura. Miura, who used his speed to get in on the forecheck, was able to get to the puck first and send the puck towards UAH netminder, David Fessenden. Mucha was able to collect the bouncing puck and send the shot past Fessenden for the 1-0 lead.

Only 20 seconds later, the Lakers doubled their lead. With the Lakers already set up in the Chargers zone, senior defenseman Lukas Kaelble kept the puck in at the blue line to keep the play onside and then connected a pass to freshman forward Josua Wildauer. Wildauer found his linemate, Gamelin, wide open in the slot. Gamelin skated in on Fessenden and beat the Chargers goalie on his blocker side with a wrist shot. With the primary assist on the goal, Wildauer recorded his first collegiate point.

Alabama Huntsville would score a pair of goals in the second period to even the game at two following forty minutes of play. Forward Adrian Danchenko got the Chargers on the board at 4:30 of the second period and freshman forward Tyrone Bronte would even the score on the power play with his first career goal.

Neither team scored in the last period of play so the game required overtime. The Lakers had multiple quality chances in the overtime including a breakaway by Pete Veillette and a three-on-one opportunity that ended with Lukas Kaelble taking a shot that went high.

In the shootout round, the Lakers won in the fifth round when defenseman Mitchell Oliver scored the deciding goal in his first game back in the lineup. Ashton Calder scored in the second round of the shootout for the Lakers.

Mitens finished the game with 23 saves while Fessenden stopped 25 shots from the Lakers.

The Lakers will wrap up the non-conference portion of the season tomorrow Sunday, Dec. 6 at 3:07 p.m. against the Chargers at the Taffy Abel Arena in Sault Ste. Marie, Mich.