Sault Fire Services attended the Algoma Treatement and Remand Centre mid-afternoon January 12, 2021.
According to Andrew Morrison, Communications Manager for the Minister of Solicitor General there was smoke inside the building.
“Firefighters attended the Algoma Treatment and Remand Centre this afternoon after smoke was detected within the facility. Firefighters determined that a heating system was causing the smoke,” said Morrison.
“The fire department inspected and cleared the area. There were no flames and inmates and staff were not required to evacuate and remain safe and sound.”
There was no word on the cost of any damage to the facility.