Fire Services Responds to Carbon Monoxide Calls

0
File Image

Over the weekend, Sault Ste. Marie Fire Service crews responded to two calls of carbon monoxide (CO) related incidents within the city.

Upon arrival, crews discovered notable amounts of carbon monoxide in each residence. The residents were each notified of the presence of CO in their homes by working carbon monoxide alarms.

“Without the presence of working carbon monoxide alarms in their homes, the end result of each incident could have been dire,” said Public Education Officer Aaron Gravelle, “As a reminder to all citizens, please take the time to test all smoke and carbon monoxide alarms monthly, as well as ensure the alarms are not past the recommended expiry date put forth by the manufacturer.”

With the winter season upon us, it is important that all fuel-burning appliances in the home be serviced annually by licensed contractors to ensure they are working properly.

Although snowfall has been limited thus far, it is important to remember that when snowfall amount increase, all residents should ensure that vents for the home are cleared and cleaned regularly to prevent carbon monoxide build-up within the home.

There were no injuries to report from either incident.