On February 14th, 2021, members of the Anishinabek Police Service, Garden River Detachment with the assistance of the OPP and the Batchewana Police Service, attempted to stop a vehicle operating on Highway 17B within the Garden River First Nation. The vehicle did not stop for police resulting in a pursuit.
Due to the dangerous conditions as well as the concern for public safety, the pursuit was terminated however the vehicle was located a short time later with two persons standing outside of the vehicle. The driver of the vehicle was located soon thereafter, hiding in a nearby shed.
Michael Hogan-Denis (26 yrs.) has been charged with a slew of charges including:
- Fail to comply with Probation Order, Section 733.1(1) CCC X 2
- Fail to comply with Undertaking, Section 145(4)(a) CCC X 4
- Dangerous operation, Section 320.13(1) CCC
- Flight from peace officer, Section 320.17 CCC
- Driving while under suspension, Section 53(1) HTA X 2
Charges are pending against the two passengers including drug charges. The matter is still under investigation.