A building which had been abandoned for a while and boarded up caught fire on Grace Street this afternoon.
Neighbours told SaultOnline they had noticed multiple people going in and out of the building lately, also the boards used to secure it had been pulled away.
One neighbour said they called the city on Monday to complain yet again about the home, and they were told there wasn’t much that could be done.
The home was apparently infested with pigeons according to the resident.
Sault Fire Services received the call around 2:00 p.m. this afternoon. They arrived to a fully involved structure fire with heavy smoke. The top half of the building was billowing large clouds of first yellowish-brown smoke, then black, then white as they brought it under control.
Sault Police Services closed down road in the area and paramedics were kept on stand-by.
Fire services remain on-scene doing a major overhaul of the structure.
Saultonline will bring you more as it becomes available.