Ontario education minister considering cancelling March break to curb COVID spread

2

TORONTO — Ontario is considering cancelling March break in an effort to curb the spread of COVID-19.

Education Minister Stephen Lecce says he hopes to have a decision by next week.

He says he’s asked the province’s chief medical officer of health for his expert opinion.

News of the potential spring break cancellation comes a day after Lecce released plans to reopen those schools still closed in the coming weeks.

Schools in Toronto, Peel and York are to reopen on Feb. 16, while those in other public health units where in-person classes haven’t resumed reopen Feb. 8.

Lecce says he will base the March break decision entirely on “public health imperatives.”

2 COMMENTS

  1. dont cancel it because you feel people are going to travel, cancel because the students have been off enough the last year

    • The problem doesn’t just lay with students. I’ve heard a few teachers (neighbors etc) who had plans to travel over march break.

Comments are closed.