UPDATE – Fire on Carufel Road

Sault Fire Services on scene of a house fire in the 200 block of Carufel Avenue, Feb. 20, 2021 (Dan Gray/SaultOnline.com)

SAULT STE. MARIE, ON – February 22, 2021 – On Saturday, February 20, 2021, Sault Ste. Marie fire crews responded to a call of a fire in the 200 block of Carufel Road.

he fire started shortly after 8 p.m. in the living room area of the split level bungalow.

Upon arrival fire crews were directed to the upper level of the dwelling where flames were visible upon entry. Fire crews were able to contain the fire.

Further investigation revealed the fire started from a lit candle in the living room area of the residence. Working smoke alarms in the residence alerted homeowners of the fire. Sault Fire Services would like to remind all citizens to ensure they have working smoke alarms on every level of the home and to test them once a month.

There is extensive fire damage to the residence. All occupants escaped the residence safely. There were no injuries to report.