COVID-19 vaccination update for clinics at GFL Memorial Gardens in Sault Ste. Marie
Algoma Public Health (APH) and Algoma Ontario Health Team (AOHT) are pleased to announce that appointments will soon be available for the COVID-19 Community Vaccine Hub being held at the GFL Memorial Gardens on March 20-21 and March 27-28, 2021.
Starting Thursday March 18, 2021 at 10:00 am, the following groups are welcome to book an appointment for their COVID-19 vaccination:
- Adults 80 years and older – born in 1941 or earlier
- All Indigenous adults ages 55 and older and their immediate household (First Nations, Metis, Inuit) (born in 1966 or earlier)
- Staff and essential caregivers in retirement homes
- Community-based highest/very high priority healthcare workers (following the Ministry of Health’s guidance on Health Care Worker Prioritization)
- Adult recipients of chronic home care
If you are eligible for COVID-19 immunization, and have one of the conditions below, please speak with your treating health care provider BEFORE attending your immunization appointment.
- have an autoimmune condition or are immunocompromised due to disease or treatment
Due to a high demand for vaccine, the phone lines will be busy and appointments will fill quickly. Please do not call or book an appointment unless you are eligible under the listed category. If you have booked an appointment and you are not on the eligibility list, you will be turned away when you arrive at the vaccination site. You may be required to show proof of eligibility. More details regarding eligible groups are available here.
People with booked appointments may bring one support person with them to the clinic. Only people with booked appointments will be immunized.
Wait until 5 minutes before your scheduled appointment time to enter the building to maintain physical distancing and prevent any delays.
Blocks of appointments are based on vaccine supply. If you do not get an appointment for these upcoming clinics, don’t panic. More appointments will be made available for bookings in the near future.
- To book an appointment online, please visit this link and click on ‘make appointment online’ under Sault Ste. Marie – GLF Memorial Gardens tab. The link will go live at 10:00 am on Thursday March 18, 2021.
- To book an appointment by phone, call 705-541-2332 or Toll Free 1-800-469-2449. Phone lines will be open on March 18 & 19 from 10:00 am – 4:00 pm
Please do not visit our office to try and make an appointment in person. Appointments are only made online or over the phone.
Vaccine clinics are also being held throughout the district and can be found on APH’s website.
Urban Indigenous people aged 55 and over, and their immediate household members, regardless of status or Indigenous identity can access the COVID-19 Community Vaccine Hub at GFL Memorial Gardens or at clinics being held by the Sault Ste. Marie Indian Friendship Centre and Maamwesying North Shore Community Health Services. Please choose an option to get immunized that best fits in your schedule.
- To book at the GFL clinic, please call 705-541-2332 or online here. OR
- To be put on the waiting list to be called for a future appointment at the Indian Friendship Centre, please call 705-256-5634.
Until the vaccine is widely available, we still need to reduce the spread of the COVID-19 in our region:
- Stay home as much as possible, and avoid gatherings, visiting or having close contact with people you don’t live with.
- Anyone who is ill, even with mild symptoms, must stay home and self-isolate away from others.
- Avoid all non-essential travel
- Wear a mask as required in indoor public spaces and outside when physical distancing cannot be maintained.