A Toronto man apologized in court today to the family of the man he pushed in front of a moving subway nearly three years ago.
John Reszetnik addressed the family of Yosuke Hayahara during a virtual hearing in which lawyers for the defence and Crown also made sentencing submissions.
Reszetnik said his actions on June 18, 2018, were wrong and will weigh on him for the rest of his life.
Reszetnik pleaded guilty earlier this year to second-degree murder in connection with the incident.
Court has previously heard Reszetnik pushed the 73-year-old Hayahara, a stranger to him, in front of an incoming train at Toronto’s Bloor-Yonge station just before 10:15 a.m. that day.
Though he initially left the scene, Reszetnik returned to the station and told both a firefighter and a police officer that he was the one behind the attack.
Second-degree murder carries an automatic life sentence with no chance of parole for 10 to 25 years.
Prosecutors are seeking 15 years of parole ineligibility, while the defence is seeking 12 to 13.
The judge is expected to deliver his sentence on April 12.