No working smoke alarms at fatal Toronto house fire, investigators say


TORONTO — The Office of the Fire Marshal says there were no working smoke alarms at a Toronto home where a fire killed four people.

They say the fire on Jan. 29 was caused by an electrical failure in the dining room ceiling.

Firefighters were called out around 4:30 a.m. that morning and had arrived to a home that was engulfed in flames.

Arija Jansons survived the fire, but lost her son and mother.

Another resident and a visiting friend also died in the fire.

The Office of the Fire Marshal says there are no working smoke alarms in one third of fatal fires in Ontario.

Fire Marshal Jon Pegg says residents should check their smoke alarms and replace their batteries at least once a year.