The Sault Ste. Marie detachment of the OPP released a statement today in response to an incident that SaultOnline reported on which occurred in the Searchmont area this past Monday, March 1, 2021. The following is the official release, including details, of what transpired leading up to the incident:
On March 1, 2021, at 12:56 p.m. members of the Sault Ste Marie Detachment of the Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) responded to a request for assistance from Sault Ste Marie Police Service (SSMPS), to observe for a vehicle involved in a fail to stop and a weapons related occurrence in the City of Sault Ste Marie.
At approximately 1:00 p.m., Sault Ste Marie OPP responded to a 9-1-1 call regarding an unknown person in a vehicle parked at a residence on Whitman Dam Road in Searchmont. The vehicle in question was the same vehicle involved with the SSMPS earlier. The person entered a residence where he encountered witnesses. The person, who was brandishing a hatchet at the time, then exhibited assaultive behaviour towards the witnesses who were able to call 9-1-1.
Responding OPP officers arrived on scene and were met by the person who continued his assaultive behaviour towards them. The OPP Emergency Response Team, SSMPS Emergency Services Unit, an OPP K-9 Unit and SSMPS K-9 were activated.
As a result of the investigation, Luckee ST.PIERRE, a 26-year-old resident of the Sault Ste Marie, Ontario has been arrested and charged with:
- Break, enter a place – commit indictable offence, contrary to section 348(1)(a) of the Criminal Code
- Possession of Weapon for Dangerous Purpose, contrary to section 88 of the Criminal Code
- Assault with a Weapon, contrary to section 267(a) of the Criminal Code, (2 counts)
- Assault a Peace Officer with a weapon, contrary to section 270.01(a) of the Criminal Code, and
- Mischief – destroys or damages property, contrary to section 430(1)(a) of the Criminal Code, (3 counts)
The accused was remanded into custody and scheduled to appear by video at the Ontario Court of Justice on March 3, 2021 in the City of Sault Ste Marie.