Algoma Public Health (APH) and Algoma Ontario Health Team (AOHT) are pleased to announce that booking will soon open for the COVID-19 Community Vaccine Hub being held at the GFL Memorial Gardens on April 17, 24, and May 1 and 8, 2021.
Demand for vaccine continues to exceed the supply we have been allocated for the Algoma region. As vaccine continues to arrive, more clinics will be made available. If you do not get an appointment for these upcoming clinics, don’t panic. More appointments will be made available for bookings in the near future.
Age-based populations include:
Starting Tuesday April 13, 2021 at 10:00 am, the following groups are welcome to book an appointment for their COVID-19 vaccination:
- Adults 70 and older and priority-based populations can book an appointment for any of the clinic dates
- Adults 65 and older can book for a clinic on April 24 onward.
- Adults 60 and older can book for a clinic on May 8 onward.
Priority-based Populations include:
- Health Care Workers Guidance for Prioritizing Health Care Workers
- Education workers who provide direct daily support to students with special education needs
- Faith leaders who provide:
- End of life care
- Care of the deceased, funerals, bathing, or other ceremony with direct contact with deceased persons
- Home visits to unwell persons
- Pastoral care in hospitals/long-term care homes/retirement homes or other vulnerable settings.
- Staff and Essential Caregivers in long term care, retirement homes and other congregate care settings for seniors (e.g. assisted living)
- Indigenous Adults (18+ and Household Members)
- Adult chronic home care recipients
- NOTE: Additional priory-based populations will be added as more vaccine supply becomes available to the community.
To book an appointment online, please visit this link and click on ‘make appointment online’ under Sault Ste. Marie – GLF Memorial Gardens tab (link will go live on Tuesday April 13, 2021 at 10:00 a.m.).
To book an appointment by phone, call 705-541-2332 (phone line opens Tuesday April 13, 2021 at 10:00 a.m.).
Throughout Algoma, you can search for a clinic near you and follow the instructions for available clinics by municipality. As more clinics are added throughout Algoma, the above priority populations will have the opportunity to be vaccinated.
- If you are eligible for COVID-19 immunization, and have one of the conditions below, please speak with your treating health care provider BEFORE attending your immunization appointment.
- Have an autoimmune condition or are immunocompromised due to disease or treatment
- People with booked appointments may bring one support person with them to the clinic. Only people with booked appointments will be immunized.
- Wait until 5 minutes before your scheduled appointment time to enter the building to maintain physical distancing and prevent any delays.
Indigenous Adults, aged 18 and older and their immediate household members who must be 18+, regardless of Indigenous identity can access the COVID-19 Community Vaccine Hub at GFL Memorial Gardens or at clinics being held by the Sault Ste. Marie Indian Friendship Centre and Maamwesying North Shore Community Health Services. Please choose an option to get immunized that best fits with your schedule.
- To book at the GFL clinic, please call 705-541-2332 or online. OR
- To be put on the waiting list to be called for a future appointment at the Indian Friendship Centre, please call 705-256-5634.
Until the vaccine is widely available, we still need to reduce the spread of the COVID-19 in our region:
- Stay home as much as possible, and avoid gatherings, visiting or having close contact with people you don’t live with.
- Anyone who is ill, even with mild symptoms, must stay home and self-isolate away from others.
- Avoid all non-essential travel
- Wear a mask as required in indoor public spaces and outside when physical distancing cannot be maintained.