Your first step to a career in construction.
The Sault Community Career Centre and Sault Ste. Marie Construction Association are excited to announce another year of Build This City: A Free Construction Fundamentals Training Program for job seekers and employers.
Our next training session starts Monday, May 10, 2021. Participant applications are being accepted until Monday, April 26, 2021, at 4:30 pm. Applications received after April 26 will be considered for the next available training session. Apply now! Space is limited.
Build This City is a SkillsAdvance Ontario workforce development project designed for Sault Ste. Marie. It gives job seekers FREE short-term construction fundamentals training, and helps them get work and advance in the local construction sector. It gives local employers access to job-ready, skilled workers to meet their workforce needs and supports to train staff for advancement opportunities.
“Despite the COVID-19 pandemic, construction is an industry that will continue to see a heavy demand for workers for many years to come,” said Monte McNaughton, Minister of Labour, Training and Skills Development. “I encourage anyone who is interested in construction to sign up and learn more about the exciting careers available in this field.”
FREE Support for Job Seekers:
- 8-weeks of free essential and technical skills training, delivered by experienced professionals that end in industry-recognized certificates or credentials, combined with job shadowing with a variety of local industry employers
- Paid 2-week work placement with local industry employers
- One-on-one support that helps you move from training into local job and career opportunities
- Financial support to cover such things as work clothing, equipment, transportation, food
Eligible Job Seekers will be:
- Unemployed or working less than an average of 20 hours per week
18 years of age or older
- Resident of Ontario and legally entitled to work in Canada (Canadian Citizen, Permanent
- Resident, Refugee Claimant)
- Not participating in, or returning to, full-time training or education
FREE Support for Employers:
- Financial support to offset additional supervisory or training costs for staff mentors to provide supervision to job seeker participants
- One-on-one support to ensure the success of participant placements
- Workers with the right skills you need to fill vacancies
- Help to reduce employee turnover
- Advancement opportunities for current staff through specialized training that meets your needs
To apply or for more information visit btc.saultcareercentre.ca. Have questions? Please email [email protected]. This Employment Ontario project is funded in part by the Government of Canada and the Government of Ontario.