Innovative program improves likelihood of admission and academic success
Algoma University has recently launched the Algoma University Access Program (AUAP). This innovative initiative provides students with an opportunity to satisfy their university admission requirements and acquire essential university study skills.
This new pre-entry programming was created to bridge the gap for students who have not met the degree program registration requirements but are interested in attending university. The AUAP focuses on our Special Mission, literacy skills development (English, mathematics, computers, leadership development, research skills) and provides the opportunity for students to gain the skills and knowledge required to attend university upon completion.
“We are very pleased to be able to offer this new program to our community and students. It is aligned with our mission as an Opportunity University, and we are very much looking forward to welcoming students from all walks of life who may not have thought of attending a university before,” shared Dr. István Imre, Acting Academic Dean. “The Algoma University Access Program is a limited enrollment program aimed at upskilling and reskilling potential students so that they may successfully enter a university program of their choosing at Algoma University after the completion of the AUAP program.”
To be eligible for the University Access Program, students must satisfy one of the following criteria:
Students direct from high school:
- Students who have achieved their OSSD diploma with a minimum cumulative average of 60-64%;
- Students who have completed at least five Grade 12 U/M courses with a minimum cumulative average of 60-64% for those AU programs which require a minimum of 65%;
- Students who have completed at least five Grade 12 U/M courses with a minimum cumulative average of 65-69% for those AU programs which require a minimum of 70%.
Students direct from college:
- Students who have completed a minimum of two terms of a college program may be admitted to AUAP with a cumulative average of 1.60 – 1.99 [BA programming only];
- Students who have completed one term of a college program may be admitted to AUAP with a minimum cumulative average of 2.00 [BA programming only].
- International applicants who do not meet the minimum posted grade requirements from their country may be eligible for admission. Consideration may be given to those whose final grades are within five percent below the minimum requirement. Applications will be assessed on an individual basis by the Office of the Registrar.
- Students whose eligibility does not meet the aforementioned criteria may appeal directly to the University Registrar for admission to their program of choice. In some cases, students may be offered admission on restriction with a prescribed suite of courses.
To learn more about this innovative program, please visit our website. For questions please email [email protected].