COVID-19 vaccination update for clinics at GFL Memorial Gardens in Sault Ste. Marie – over 7,000 new appointments added
With an increase in vaccine from the provincial government in the coming weeks, Algoma Public Health (APH) and Algoma Ontario Health Team (AOHT) are pleased to announce that booking will soon open for over 7,000 new appointments at the COVID-19 Community Vaccine Hub being held at the GFL Memorial Gardens for the following dates.
These clinics are for first dose only.
- May 20 & 27
- June 3, 4, 10 & 11
More clinics will be made available in the near future including opportunities for second doses to those who meet eligibility. Information on second dose appointments will be coming soon.
The following new groups, and previous eligible groups<https://www.algomapublichealth.com/disease-and-illness/infectious-diseases/novel-coronavirus/covid-19-vaccine/vaccine-clinics-in-algoma/>, including all adults aged 50+, are welcome to book an appointment starting Monday May 17, 2021.
Adults aged 50+
At-Risk Health Conditions:
- Immune deficiencies/autoimmune disorders
- Stroke/cerebrovascular disease
- Liver disease
- All other cancers
- Respiratory diseases
- Spleen problems (e.g., asplenia)
- Heart disease
- Hypertension with end organ damage
- Diagnosis of mental disorder
- Substance use disorders
- Sickle Cell Disease
- Other disabilities requiring direct support care in the community
Second Group of Essential Workers Who Cannot Work from Home
- Essential and critical retail workers (including grocery, foodbank and non-clinical pharmacy workers, restaurant workers, LCBO, ServiceOntario, ServiceCanada, wholesalers and general goods, restaurant workers, LCBO)
- Workers in manufacturing industries directly involved in supporting the COVID19 response, construction including infrastructure, and other essential businesses and services where facilities are at heightened risk for COVID-19 outbreaks and spread.
- Social workers and other social services staff providing in-person client services (including youth justice workers, OW and ODSP case workers)
- Courts and justice system workers (including probation and parole workers)
- Transportation, warehousing and distribution workers (including public transit workers, taxi drivers, truck drivers supporting essential services, marine and rail cargo and maintenance, highway maintenance)
- Electricity (including workers employed in system operations, generation, transmission, distribution and storage).
- Communications infrastructure workers (including cellular, satellite, landline, internet, public safety radio)
- Water and wastewater management workers
- Financial services workers (bank branch staff)
- Veterinarians and veterinary teams
- Waste management workers
- Oil and petroleum workers (including those working in petroleum refineries; those involved in the storage, transmission and distribution of crude oil and petroleum products and those needed for the retail sale of fuel).
- Natural gas and propane gas workers (including those working in the compression, storage, transmission and distribution of natural gas and propane)
- Mine workers (including those needed to ensure the continued operation of active mines)
Uranium processing workers (those working in the refining and conversion of uranium, and fabrication of fuel for nuclear power plants).
HOW TO BOOK
In order to give those who are working during the day an opportunity to book an appointment, both online and telephone bookings will start Monday May 17, 2021 at 5:00 pm. Phone lines will be available from 5:00 pm – 9:00 pm.
Option 1 (Online): Recommended
Visit this link<http://www.algomapublichealth.com/disease-and-illness/infectious-diseases/novel-coronavirus/covid-19-vaccine/vaccine-clinics-in-algoma/#clinics> and click on ‘make appointment online’ under Sault Ste. Marie – GFL Memorial Gardens tab. Appointments will be updated at 5:00 pm on Monday May 17, 2021.
Option 2 (Book by Phone):
We have expanded our call centre to allow more callers into the queue and staff to answer your calls.
Our new appointment line is: 705-541-7370 or toll-free 888-440-3730.
If appointments are still available after Monday, phone lines will be re-open Tuesday – Friday, 10:00 am – 4:00 pm.
Clinics are available throughout Algoma. Search for a clinic near you<https://www.algomapublichealth.com/disease-and-illness/infectious-diseases/novel-coronavirus/covid-19-vaccine/vaccine-clinics-in-algoma/#clinics> and follow the instructions for available clinics by municipality.
PHARMACIES ACCEPTING ADULTS 40+
Beginning next week, additional pharmacies in Sault Ste. Marie and Elliot Lake will be expanding access to individuals 40 and over administering the Pfizer or Moderna vaccine. Learn more about the participating pharmacies<http://www.algomapublichealth.com/pharmacy> and how to book an appointment.
If you are eligible for COVID-19 immunization and have one of the conditions below, please speak with your treating health care provider BEFORE attending your immunization appointment.
- Have an autoimmune condition or are immunocompromised due to disease or treatment
People with booked appointments may bring one support person with them to the clinic. Only people with booked appointments will be immunized.
Until the majority of community members are fully immunized, we still need to reduce the spread of the COVID-19 in our region:
- Stay home as much as possible, avoid gatherings, visiting or having close contact with people you don’t live with.
- Anyone who is ill, even with mild symptoms, must stay home and self-isolate away from others.
- Avoid all non-essential travel
- Wear a mask as required in indoor public spaces and outside when physical distancing cannot be maintained.