Treatment Centre announcement for Sault Ste. Marie

6
Sault Area Hospital

In a virtual announcement today, Member of Provincial Parliament for Sault Ste. Marie, Ross Romano, was joined by Minister of Health, Christine Elliott, and Associate Minister of Mental Health and Addictions, Michael Tibollo.

The announcement was regarding a new treatment centre to be operated by Sault Area Hospital, in the city.

Ross Romano said this is great news for Algoma and Sault Ste. Marie.

“We have a very special bit of news to share with you, today is a very exciting day” said Romano.

Minister of Health, Christine Elliott, was happy to be invited and be part of bringing this much needed facility to the area.

“Long before any of us had heard of COVID-19, our government made a commitment to build a comprehensive and connected mental health and addiction system for all Ontarians of course, including everyone in Sault Ste. Marie. That’s why I am very pleased to announce that our government is supporting the relocation of the residential withdrawal management program from within Sault Area Hospital to a modern dedicated suite that better meets the needs of individuals and families in Sault Ste. Marie and the surrounding region,” said Elliott.
“Patients will have access to 20 community residential withdrawal management beds, as well as key services that support patients treatment and recovery. We are working closely with Sault Area Hospital to expedite the early stages of planning, including identifying staffing and space needs. While this work is underway, our government will be providing $343,000 per year in operational funding to support the future site and improve access to mental health and addiction services in the community.”

“Services will continue to be provided at Sualt Area Hospital, untill the new site is ready. This is an important step in the right direction. And together we will build a mental health and addiction system that ensures all Ontarians have access to the services they need, when and where they need them.”

Stay with SaultOnline as we continue to bring reaction to this developing story.

6 COMMENTS

  1. Perfectly said Mr. Schinners and I couldn’t agree more..!! Not trying to sound ungrateful to the fact there’s finally going to be something, which is better than nothing.. But it’s been well over-due, only 20 beds are going to be available which doesn’t even come close to the tip of the should’ve been made a priority immediately following the documentary “Steeltown Down” that was aired on national television.. How embarrassing for the one’s on the front line who gotta explain when a facility how many have died unnecessarily since then. I’m still trying to wrap my head around the fact that this very subject was brought to Mayor Provenzano and city council’s attention as a proposal ready to be put into action at one of the Monday evening City Council meetings on channel 10.. OVER 2-yrs AGO, however, I’m sure history will speak for it’s self when it’s down to the decision coming from City Hall.. the taxpayers are never asked in a public vote (which would only be fair since we’re the ones paying for it).. they just do what they feel is best for the city, and if us small-timers don’t like.. oh well. Basically, if you’re not in their “tax bracket”.. you don’t have an opinion!

  2. Congratulations ,to Mayor and Council for getting something out of Ross Romano and Christine Elliot Thank you Ross and Christine !

    Now take this 8 .5 Million from the Park Project and use that for the Treatment Centre
    Just like COUNCIL did from the ROADS ,budget to cover the Costs overruns on the truck route WHAT IS NOW CARMENS WAY

  3. The best news in a very long time.
    Now we know where to damp the eight million provolones.
    Thank you Ontario Government!

  4. Great news for the Soo. [Note to author: don’t forget to proof your article before you post. Major typo.]

Comments are closed.