Due to the continuing public health legislative and guidance provisions that Ontario has been following since the mid-April lockdown was implemented, the City was not able to arrange our usual events and activities at the Roberta Bondar Pavilion and evening fireworks show.
We are assessing the feasibility of providing a fireworks show later in the summer when public health provisions would allow for it.
The following city facilities and services will be closed Thursday, July 1 for the Canada Day statutory holiday:
- The Cemetery office, GFL Memorial Gardens, Ronald A. Irwin Civic Centre, Sault Transit office, Fire Services Administration office, Public Works and Engineering Services office and the public libraries will be closed.
- The John Rhodes Community Centre, the Northern Community Centre, Seniors’ Centres and the Ermatinger Clergue National Historic Site are closed.
- City operated arenas are closed. This includes the GFL Memorial Gardens (open for scheduled vaccination appointments), the John Rhodes Community Centre and the McMeeken Centre.
- Outdoor recreational amenities, including baseball diamonds, soccer fields, disc golf locations, tennis courts, pickleball courts and skate parks will be open.
- Outdoor sports facilities, outdoor fitness equipment, playgrounds and outdoor picnic sites will be open.
- Bellevue Marina and Roberta Bondar Marina are open from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m.
- Recreational lock is open 9 a.m. to 9 p.m.
- Parks and recreational areas including trails are open.
- Off-leash dog parks, park benches, outdoor playgrounds, outdoor play structures and play equipment are open.
- Pointe des Chenes day park is open.
Users of all City amenities are reminded to maintain a physical distance of at least two meters from other people outside of your immediate household.
Garbage& Recycling Collection
No collection Thursday, July 1.
Collection will be one day late following the holiday.
Leaf and Yard Waste is collected on your scheduled garbage day, bi-weekly. To view the Leaf and Yard Waste collection calendar and see which week your leaf and yard waste collection will be, visit saultstemarie.ca/leafyardwaste
The City’s landfill will be closed on Canada Day. Regular hours are Monday to Friday 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. The landfill will open on Saturdays beginning July 18. Expect delays as security is enforcing physical distancing and health and safety measures.
The Household Hazardous Waste Depot will open on July 18.
For more information, visit saultstemarie.ca/waste or call Public Works and Engineering Services at 705-759-5201.
There will be no regular transit service on Wednesday, July 1. Only Parabus will operate on July 1.
Bellevue Marina is open 9a.m. –9 p.m.
Roberta Bondar Marina and the Sault Canal recreational lock are open 9 a.m. –9 p.m.
The Peter G. Manzo and V.E. Greco pools are open 1 –7 p.m., weather permitting. The Splash Pad is open July 1 from 9 a.m. –9 p.m.
On July 1, the province will be in Step 2 of the Roadmap to Re-open thatprevents gatherings of more than 25peopleoutdoors. The community is reminded to practice public health measures to limit the spread of COVID-19.
The Canada Day hours for City operations are available online at www.saultstemarie.ca.