In follow up to a story we brought you a few weeks ago, SaultOnline has learned that the City is facing provincial charges.
On June 22, 2021, a Sault Transit Bus travelling on Second Line West lost a wheel and skidded to a stop. Originally, we were told the investigation was ongoing and the Ontario Ministry of Transportation had also started an investigation.
We reached out to Tessa Vecchio last week in regards to the City’s investigation.
“The MTO has completed their investigation and the City has followed any action items required,” said Vecchio. “Staff continue to follow proper procedures and the internal investigation is ongoing.”
With that knowledge, we reached out to the MTO for comment. Lee Alderson, Senior Issues Advisor for the Ministry of Transportation, responded.
“A Ministry of Transportation Enforcement Officer has completed the investigation to a wheel separation incident that occurred on June 22, 2021, in the City of Sault Ste. Marie,” said Alderson in an e-mailed statement. “As a result of the Officer’s investigation, a Part 3 Summons was issued and the Corporation of the City of Sault Ste. Marie was charged under the Highway Traffic Act Section: 84.1(1) Wheel Detached from Commercial Vehicle.”
That section reads – 84.1(1) Where a wheel becomes detached from a commercial motor vehicle, or from a vehicle being drawn by a commercial motor vehicle, while the commercial motor vehicle is on a highway, the operator of the commercial motor vehicle and the owner of the vehicle from which the wheel became detached are guilty of an offence.
Alderson then advised that since the issue is now before the courts, it would be inappropriate for them to comment further.
Stay with SaultOnline as we continue to monitor this ongoing court case.