“It’s like being in the apocolypse…”
That was part of my conversation with a man who goes by the pseudonym Pabtimblo Juan Escwilsobar on Facebook. Earlier this week, he and a friend went into the old hospital and took a pile of pictures they then pasted on social media.
“It’s pretty easy to get into, we just walked in, we didn’t have to pry anything open or anything,” said Pabtimbo. “There is a couple of different places you can get in, at least two. But the one you just walk in, there’s like a stairwell and you just walk in and there’s like two foot wide opening, you go through that, there is a hole through the wall and your in.”
This is in stark contrast to what Freddy Pozzebon, chief building officer for Sault Ste. Marie said in a statement to SaultOnline, July 8.
“The owner has complied with the last two Orders that were issued. This includes:
- Openings boarded up on June 25,
- Piles of dirt levelled off on June 29,
Our office proactively visits the property twice a month. As a result, By-law officials will be issuing an Order to cut the grass,” said Pozzebon.
“It’s sad to see, you know, both of my children were born in there. So, when I was in the rooms that they were delivered in then it’s just like, holy crap,” said Pabtimbo. “It’s like being in the apocalypse. You know, and it’s surprising how quick like it’s deteriorating.”
Many neighbours and citizens have reached out asking for the building to be torn down and the by-laws to be enforced. Although there were no people found inside the building, Pabtimbo said there is evidence of people having been inside and using drugs. He said the smell is atrocious and said they wore masks the whole time they were in the building.
Other people have told SaultOnline there can be between 5-30 people in there on bad weather nights.
Stay with SaultOnline as we continue to bring you more information on this case.