(ELLIOT LAKE, ON) – On August 5, 2021, shortly after 9:30 p.m., members from the East Algoma Detachment of the Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) responded to a family dispute at residence on Axmith Avenue in the City of Elliot Lake.
Investigation determined an individual was visiting relatives in Elliot Lake and became intoxicated. The complainant wanted the visiting family member removed from the residence. While police were dealing with the visitor the individual became aggressive with officers and was subsequently arrested for Public Intoxication.
Once lodged at Elliot Lake detachment the accused defecated in the cell and threw fecal matter at one of the officers. While transferring the accused to another cell, the accused became assaultive with officers.
As a result, Joshua VIEN, 33 years-of-age from Timmins was charged with:
- Mischief-Interfere with Lawful Use, Enjoyment or Operation of Property- Under $5000 contrary to section 430(4) of the Criminal Code (CC)
- Assault A Peace Officer with a Weapon, contrary to section 270.01(1)(a) of the CC
- Disarming A Peace Officer, contrary to section 270.1(1) of the CC
- Resist Peace Officer, contrary to section 129(a) of the CC
- Being Intoxicated in a Public Place, contrary to section 31(4) of the Liquor Licence Act
The accused appeared before the Ontario Court of Justice Video Bail in Blind River on August 6, 2021.