More information about this mornings shooting is now available from the Special Investigations Unit press release.
The province’s Special Investigations Unit is investigating the circumstances surrounding the shooting death of a 19-year-old man early this morning in Sault Ste. Marie.
- At approximately 3:41 a.m. on September 19, 2021, the Sault Ste. Marie Police Service were dispatched to a residence on Pine Street North for a domestic situation.
- At about 4:04 a.m., an officer was shot and officers discharged their firearms at the man.
- The man was struck. He was pronounced deceased at the scene.
- An officer was taken to hospital with serious injuries.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigationsSaultOnline has spoken directly with SIU Media Relations, Kristy Denette, she has informed us the lead investigator is coming from Hamilton. This means the scene will remain secured until their investigators deem otherwise.Readers can expect traffic in the area to be slow.Stay with SaultOnline as we continue to bring you updates as they become available.